The purpose of this position is to screen patient’s pre and post admissions in order to determine the patient’s medical coverage is valid for services at the client facility. A Financial Counselor screens uninsured patients for possible coverage not provided at time of registration or scheduling and then partnering with on-site eligibility team as needed. This position collects co-pays, deductibles, and self-pay deposits on behalf of the client.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Conduct patient interviews to obtain demographic and financial data to assure correct billing information to minimize the reimbursement risks associated with providing care to patients
- Detailed, accurate and timely documentation in both company and client systems on all cases worked
- Provide exceptional customer service at all times
- Request payment of required deposits based on guidelines set by client and/or company. Work with patient and/or designated family to establish financial arrangements in accord with policy
- Verify both government and commercial insurance
- Complete required screening procedures for medical necessity and insurance verification
- Review accounts for potential financial assistance candidates; discuss application process with patient and assist with completion
- Obtain insurance referrals and/or authorizations as required by individual insurance plans, documenting authorization/referral appropriately for accurate billing
- All other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or GED
- Some college coursework preferred
- Patient access and/or hospital registration experience preferred
- Adaptability when dealing with constantly changing processes, computer systems and government programs
- Professional experience working with state and federal programs preferred
- Critical thinking skills
- Proficient experience utilizing Microsoft Office Suite with emphasis on Excel and Outlook
- Effectively communicate both orally and written, to a variety of individuals
- Ability to multitask and ability to function in a fast paced environment
While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers, to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
This job description is to serve as a guide but no way is it to be considered a comprehensive list of task, duties and responsibilities that will be required by the employee.
To join our team of 2,000 employees and growing, please visit apply directly to this posting.
MedData is an equal opportunity employer