Are you looking for a meaningful and rewarding career?
Do you want to make a positive difference in the lives of others?
We are looking for individuals that have excellent customer service skills, a knack for problem solving, a sense of urgency and excellent communication skills.
MedData has an excellent career opportunity available as a Bilingual Hospital Patient Advocate to work in a Hospital setting located in San Diego, CA. The schedule for this full time role is Monday - Friday 8:30am -5pm.
As the Hospital Patient Advocate you will also be traveling to cover other hospitals in the area and doing home visits. Driving is required.
What does a Patient Advocate do? The purpose of a Patient Advocate is to connect uninsured and underinsured hospital patients to programs that will cover their medical expenses such as MediCal, Social Security, Disability, Workers Comp and other state and local county programs. Working as the liaison between the patient in need, the hospital facility and government agencies.
The purpose of this position is to provide optimal solutions for our patients and hospitals regarding all facets of Medi-Cal and other governmental programs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Interview, screen and/or evaluate patients bedside within established guidelines to assist in identifying federal, state and county programs that patients may qualify for
- Explain the program benefits and values of applying for county, state and/or federal programs
- Obtain current demographics and inquire about current circumstances, such as last date of employment, employer information and income
- Initiate and complete the application process for benefits by assisting applicants with the completion of all the necessary paperwork, work aggressively to obtain all the necessary verifications
- Focus on individual performance, Key Performance Indicators (KPI) and expediting approvals by assisting with the proactive gathering of all necessary verifications and medical information forms
- Perform clerical tasks, such as typing and filing, and have knowledge of government regulations
- Work with county eligibility workers and county offices to create and foster positive working relationships
- Work with colleagues to ensure timeliness of tasks and proactive support with follow up communications. Cover other advocates as needed
- Maintain a caseload of 200+ with less than 10% of accounts past due and be able to work a minimum of 30 cases per day
- Must spend a minimum of 80% of time on case management
- Must be able to work independently and within a team
- Complete comprehensive training programs as required
- Employees are expected to protect the privacy of all PHI in accordance to privacy policies and procedures and as required by state and federal law including but not limited to the HIPAA Security and Privacy Rules
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- High School Diploma or GED, College degree preferred
- Read, speak, write, and understand the English language fluently
- Keyboarding skills, at least 35 wpm
- Work independently, as well as with a team
- Ability to plan, organize and exercise sound judgment
- Working knowledge of Outlook, Word, Excel, and other MS office applications
- Knowledge of hospitals patient accounting systems a plus (MediTech, ePIC, Cerner, etc)
- Willingness to learn new systems and functions
- High commitment to customer service to our internal and external clients
- Possess a high level of integrity – must show good judgment and confidentiality at all times
- Dependable and highly detailed individual
- Ability to collect, analyze and research complex or diverse information
- Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines, and possess strong problem solving skills
- Must fluently read, write & speak both English & Spanish
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk and must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
This job description is to serve as a guide but no way is it to be considered a comprehensive list of task, duties and responsibilities that will be required by the employee.
To join our team of 2,000 employees and growing, please apply directly to this posting. IND123
MedData is an Equal Opportunity Employer